15 true Vlad the Impaler Quotes that will help you learn more about the complex and enigmatic personality of the Wallachian Prince which terrorized and tortured his enemies in many unimaginable ways.
Vlad the Impaler, probably the most famous Romanian ruler from the Medieval Ages, his name was known from the Ottoman Empire to what is today Germany.
Vlad the Impaler occupied the throne of Wallachia three times during these years: 1448, 1456-1462, and 1476. Taking the reign at a time of serious internal crisis and the decline of the Wallachian state internationally, a situation generated by long internal struggles between the Draculesti and the Danesti factions.
Vlad the Impaler promoted an authoritarian policy destined to restore the central power in the fight against the wealthy nobles and externally engaged Wallachia in the anti-Ottoman fight.
Today, the popularity of Vlad the Impaler has been revived due to the publication of Bram Stoker’s famous novel in the 19th century and the production of many Dracula movies.
The important question is, what was the personality of Vlad the Impaler? For his enemies, he was a madman for his fellow countrymen he is a hero who fought to protect Wallachia from Ottoman expansion. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
Here are 15 quotes from Vlad the Impaler who could help you to better understand the enigmatic personality of the Wallachian ruler.
15 Vlad the Impaler Quotes:
1. “Think, when a man or a Prince is tough and strong within, then he can make peace as he pleases; and when he is powerless, a stronger one will come upon him and do whatever he wants with him.” – Vlad the Impaler
2. “I know it, it was the army I had learned about since childhood. From the age of sixteen, I began to train in it to learn the skill of weapons. And precisely that’s why, because I was used to it, knowing its power of steel, I had an even greater desire to defeat it.” – Vlad the Impaler
3. “Those in my Vilayet are not loyal and if I am absent from my country, traveling there, they will bring a Hungarian and handle the country over to him.” – Vlad the Impaler
4. “You understand now; for them, and for all enemies; Yes, I wanted to be ruthless! Let fear enter in them once and for all. Because only with terror could I change anything in this world.” – Vlad the Impaler
5. “Go, tell your master: he is used to enduring this shame from you, we are not taught; do not send this habit to other masters who do not want to have it, but to keep it for himself.” – Vlad the Impaler
6. “Here I let you know that we overthrew our enemy Laiota, and fled to the Turks. So God has set you free. Come with bread and merchandise and feed, for God has made us one country now.”- Vlad the Impaler
7. “I didn’t do anything wrong, he killed himself. Anyone perishes like this when storming into the house of a great ruler.” – Vlad the Impaler
8. “But, with the mercy of God, as we went to the border, we learned of their cunning and treachery, and we were the ones who seized that Hamza-beg, in the Land of the Turks.” – Vlad the Impaler
9. “Opening the fortress to the shouts of our people, with the thought of entering only theirs, ours mingling with their soldiers, they entered and conquered the fortress. Which we immediately burned …” – Vlad the Impaler
10. “Lies! Dirty lies, invented to take revenge on me and show the Pope that he had no reason to help me.” – Vlad the Impaler
11. “Just to know, your Highness, that we have broken the peace with the Turks, not for any benefit of ours, but for the honor of your Highness and the Holy Crown of your Majesty and for the preservation of the whole of Christendom and for the strengthening of Catholic law.” – Vlad the Impaler
12. “And if we reach, God protect us, a bad ending and if our country perishes, then your Grace will have no use and benefit of such a thing because it will be a loss for the whole of Christendom.” – Vlad the Impaler
13. “And if your Grace wants to give us any support, then may your Grace be good not to delay us and to really tell us the thoughts of your Grace.” – Vlad the Impaler
14. “And the above are only the names of the dead whose heads and marks have been brought to our advisers. We do not know their names, but many perished those who were not shown or burned in the houses.” – Vlad the Impaler
15. You’re right. You are the messenger of a great ruler. I made this spike for you!
Hope you have found this collection of Vlad the Impaler quotes interesting.